Business development managers (BDMs) are responsible for driving business growth within a company. They do this by identifying new opportunities, developing relationships with potential customers, and closing deals. BDMs play a critical role in the success of any company, and their salaries reflect this.
The average salary for a BDM in the United States is $133,816 as of July 2023. However, salaries can vary widely depending on a number of factors, including:
- Industry: BDMs in the technology industry typically earn higher salaries than those in other industries.
- Experience: BDMs with more experience earn higher salaries than those with less experience.
- Education: BDMs with a master’s degree or higher earn higher salaries than those with a bachelor’s degree.
- Skills: BDMs with specific skills, such as sales experience or knowledge of a particular industry, can earn higher salaries.
In addition to their base salary, BDMs can also earn commissions and bonuses. Commissions are paid based on the amount of sales a BDM generates, while bonuses are typically paid based on the company’s overall performance.
The highest salary for a BDM can be well into the six figures. For example, a BDM in the technology industry with a decade of experience and a master’s degree could earn over $200,000 per year.
If you’re interested in a career in business development, it’s important to be prepared to earn a competitive salary. BDMs are in high demand, and companies are willing to pay top dollar for top talent.
Here are some tips for increasing your salary as a BDM:
- Get a master’s degree in business administration (MBA). An MBA will give you the skills and knowledge you need to succeed in business development.
- Gain sales experience. Sales experience is essential for BDMs. Get a job in sales or a related field before you apply for a BDM position.
- Network with other BDMs. Networking is a great way to learn about new opportunities and to get your foot in the door.
- Stay up-to-date on industry trends. BDMs need to be aware of the latest trends in their industry in order to be successful.
- Be a top performer. BDMs who consistently exceed their sales goals are more likely to earn higher salaries.
If you’re willing to put in the hard work, you can earn a great salary as a business development manager.